Post Circumcision Instructions:
- For two days, each time you change the baby's diaper, wrap a new gauze with vaseline around the penis.
- If you wish to bathe the baby tonight, just sponge bathe him and do not immerse him in water.
- Tomorrow, the baby may have a full bath.
- If there is every any significant bleeding, don't panic. As will be explained in the office, apply pressure to the base of the shaft and hold while calling me right away any time or day or night at 416-635-5012. If it is after hours, weekends or holidays, listencarefully to the instructions on the answering machine and leave a clear message with your name and PHONE NUMBER. The system will page me and you should get a call back almost right away. If you do not hear from us within 1/2 hour try one more time. If you still don't hear in 1/2 hour then go to emerg. This pertains ONLY to significant bleeding and not to a drop or so.
- Watch for signs of infection. You would see a pus-like liquid (not a film) which is runny, yellowish, greenish or clear.It may have a bad odour or be tinged with blood. It only needs to be treated with an ointment. It is normal to have a green or yellow film which is DRY and cannot be rubbed off. If you are not sure, please call.
- On day one, if the baby has been fed, changed, burped, picked up, cuddled and had his nap but still will not settle down, you can give him a dose of baby's tylenol or tempra. The dose will vary according to age and weight and can be found on the bottle. If needed, you can repeat this dose once after four to five hours.